Being a professional tutor is one of the most respected and reputable careers one would ever want to hold. Tutoring, however, has some requirement before one gets to be qualified. Similarly, there is a need for someone to show that they are qualified and ready to become a tutor before they are recruited as one. It is for this reason that it is vital to discuss the roles and duties of tutors and the qualifications that one requires becoming a tutor. It is also essential for you to know the type of rewards you can get from being a tutor.
1. The Typical Requirements Of A Tutor
There are lots of elements that a tutor should have before they begin the task. Handling students is not an easy thing, so it is essential for the tutors to be adequately qualified. The following are some of the requirements needed from a tutor.
- Teaching certificate: For one to become a tutor there is a need to have a teaching certificate that indicates that you can teach. This certificate depends on where you come from or even the teaching policies in your nation. In most countries, there is a body that deals with education and teaching of students.
It is this body that issues you with the teaching certificates to ensure that you are certified and can handle the students without any harm. This certificate also makes you vulnerable for any mistakes done while managing the students during class or even outside the classroom.
- First-degree certificate: For you to be a tutor there is the need for you to acquire a degree in education or any other relevant subject of major. In case you are not a degree holder, it will be tough for you to be a tutor since you are assumed to be lacking expected skills to handle the subjects of specialization.
- Background check and drug screening: This also depends on the country to country all over the world. There are places where one needs to be screened for drugs and medical conditions to be certified as a tutor. In case you are found to have suffered a contagious infection or even a communication disease, you are advised not to take the tutoring path. Therefore, it is needed for one to pass the tests to which he or she is subjected before engaging in tutoring.
- Positive rapport and engagement with students: all tutors are required to be morally upright. Some teachers are not moral and end up relating to students in a manner which is not pleasing. Therefore, it is required of all tutors to meet the required ethical standards before they become one.
- Excellent communication skills: communication is the primary requirement in every education field. As it is always known, communication is the only way to pass information from one person to the next.
- Similarly, tutoring or rather education entails teaching or telling the students what they should do and how to do it, which is all about communication. Therefore, one needs the best skills in this field for them to become tutors.
2. Duties of a Tutor
Tutors have several jobs which they need to be aware of before they are regarded as tutors. They are all expected to adhere to their duties and responsibilities to help the students work hard and pass their exams to develop them into future professionals.
Some of the significant duties of tutors include:
- Teach their subjects of specialization: Tutors are executed to instruct their students concerning their subject’s area and issue assignments which they need to assess and mark accordingly. They should also meet the students in person in schools to ensure that they are always in the appropriate environment for delivering instructions to the students.
- Ask questions: Tutors have the duties of asking the students some questions concerning their areas of trouble to help them handle such areas to perfection. This boosts the know-how and performance of the students.
- Meet and communicate with parents: tutors are required to hold a meeting and interact with the students' parents at personal levels concerning the progress of their children and how they should be handled at school and home alike.
The Bottom Line
In a nutshell, tutoring is an exciting job which should be embraced by almost everyone. It is a job where one can volunteer or even be paid salaries to help other people's children become people of dignity in society. As such, tutoring is always handled with a lot of care by both the government and the community members. As a tutor, one should strive to meet all the requirements as listed above and also adhere to the codes and conducts of the teaching profession. By being a tutor, one automatically becomes a social worker. With the introduction of technology, tutoring has evolved to do even on the online platforms, but the above requirements remain intact.